Tuesday, August 02, 2016

ROGER BENSASSON + YUMIKO KIMURA


ModernDallas.net repost of my article

 The Museum of Geometric and MADI Art brings the works of Roger Bensasson and Yumiko Kimura across the pond to show another angle on geometric art. Yumiko is from Japan but lives in Paris, while Bensasson was born in Paris and lives in Bagnolet, France. Whereas Kimura glass work feel flat, Bensasson brought on some exciting work using minimal use of line, shape, and color.

The most impactful piece of Yumiko Kimura’s show was the large plates of glass cut into 90 degree triangles, connected to another triangle of glass, then places on the floor in ever decreasing sizes. The piece took up a room and felt a bit dangerous to approach. If the rest of her work was at the same scale, they might have worked better. But most of her glass pieces felt more decorative than challenging my aesthetic boundaries. However, I did enjoy her little plastic pieces. I am not sure why they worked more for me than the glass pieces. Maybe the plastic make for more interesting shapes.

At first, I was skeptical of Roger Bensasson’s objects. I think the intensity of repetition caught me off guard. His triangles/check marks were in white or red, sometimes cut out, and repeated once or twice on a piece. Other works were lines cut out using black or white areas. These lines also repeated. I think the cut out and constructed areas that would jet out of the box composition started to hook me. I began walking up close to see how each work was constructed. The work was cut out like a machine had produced these relief sculptures. I was amazed in the precision he took on each object. That red he uses also demanded your attention, so I hung around a bit more on these pieces just soak in that red. Also, his use of museum board is intriguing. I remember playing with a little of this board back in my graphic design days. It is pretty much mat board, only more expenses, so you just cringe when you make a mistake when cutting it.

To be honest, I took more time looking back at their permanent collection which is expanding all the time. Some day, that whole building might be taken over by the museum. Most of the walls are covered in salon style to fit so much work. The museum not only has works by international artists, but I spotted quite a few Texas artists as well. The museum has always been supportive of the local art scene. Some highlights of the collection for me include: Josef Albers, Carlos Cruz-Diez, Orna Feinstein, and Bridget Riley.

Both works by Roger Bensasson and Yumiko Kimura will be down on July 24. If you visit, sign their guest book to get information on some upcoming developments. I am excited to see the MADI’s new acquisitions.

No comments: