Friday, May 27, 2016

Scott Gleedon









Travels in Ithaca by Scott Gleeson.

Several weeks ago, I was on SMU campus at the Meadows Museum. After getting filled with Spanish art, I remembered I also wanted to see an art show at the Hamon Arts Library. The library’s gallery space was intimate if the walls had small works, but felt small and a little cramped with the decent size works by Scott Gleeson. Luckily each work had a bit of presence to them that I did feel that the gallery wasn’t cluttered.

I have been debating with myself whether to write about the show. Mainly because I can’t decide if all or at least some of the art in the show worked as successful pieces. I feel there are possible problems that I am not quite seeing resolved, so maybe I need further reflection. I have been thinking about beautiful failures that still have great impacts. For example, Wagner’s The Ring of Nibelung (a.k.a. The Ring Cycle) attempts to express tragedy in an opera, but fails to meet the standards of the philosopher Nietzsche. The opera also fails to translate to modern tolerance for long drawn out performances. Rarely the whole opera is performed of the several days it requires. I know the Gleeson’s paintings have a goal of helping heal real psychological trauma while reflecting on aspects of modernist practices. I have read about Gleeson’s thought processes, about his research on avant garde movements, and about his passion to alleviate veterans pain after war. I think he has thought out a great deal of issues that are coming together in his art production, however, I am unsure every piece communicates his thoughts. Then again, maybe I didn't spend enough time to really have the work sink into my subconscious. Even though I experienced the work and read about the work, I think I really need to talk to Scott Gleeson to get the full impact of his goals and ideas.



No comments: