Thursday, November 19, 2015

Birthday Reflections

 
WKYU-TV is a PBS channel run out of WKU. This was also where I received an undergraduate degree. After my mother died, I was without much purpose, so my dad rooted me out of the house and I packed up and moved back to Bowling Green where a friend of mine got me a job as an MCO at the station he worked. Well, I spent a year there drawing little pictures on sticky notes and working a little bit at my apartment, but I wasn't motivated to break out any new ideas except for one which was a 60 by 30 inch canvas with a large image of my signature in the middle of the canvas in black and white. I didn't know at the time, but that text piece was the beginning of an new series that has not left me to this day. Later thanks to some of the professors at WKU, I had a show at the university and the next year I had a show at the art center in Bowling Green. If were not for the former station manager Linda G. I would not have been able to do the residency that went with the exhibition at the art center. She and her husband put me up for the week and I could not have been happier with their hospitality. In 2010, the last of the MCO booth was shut down and replaced. I haven't been back since the switch over, but I remember they were attempting to move over to an all computer system when I was about to leave, so I image the machine has once again replaced the worker.

No comments: