Saturday, June 06, 2015

RE GALLERY + MAKEBISH NEW YORK




Matthew Bourbon - Midnight Reader 2015 Acrylic On Canvas 28 x 28 inches 

ModernDallas.net re-post of my article: by Todd Camplin. link
Check out The Art Daily Part 2 page. They link this article and have a great deal of other exciting articles linked.

Last weekend was good times for the art community around Dallas. The energy was high around the Dallas Art Fair and surrounding art openings. I talked to several gallerists about how successful the fair had been and many were excited or at least pretty pleased about the turnout and sales. I know, I know, Art Fairs are just glorified trade shows, but I always find them enjoyable. Dallas’ version in particular has gotten better over the years. I noticed just a few of the out of town spaces that had a David Salle, and brought theirs, because of the Dallas Contemporary show of his work, I assume. I was able to get over to the DC as well, to see the three stellar shows they had up. I was a bit skeptical about Nate Lowman’s work, but I must admit, I was captivated by his canvas of the United States along with the other canvases he made. Only his lamps seemed to clutter up the place.  At the fair, few spaces chose to feature one artist, our own Barry Whistler Gallery showed just Nathan Green’s paintings. There was quite a lot of glam and shimmer, like all art fairs these days, but if you took your time a few gems appeared. I really enjoyed the RO2 booth. They splashed work all over the walls, but it worked for their artists. 

Of course, the Dallas Art Fair wasn’t the only show in town, Re Gallery had a main gallery and pop up space show in the same neighborhood. My old professor Matthew Bourbon at UNT was showing new paintings in the main space. I was surprised to see all new work, because he just took down a show in Houston a short while ago. These were smaller paintings, but no less packed with symbols and figures. In one piece, I almost didn’t see the figure at all. The person was reading a newspaper. Yes, people still read those things. But since Bourbon sometimes takes images from old movie clips, it is not farfetched to think he pulled his source material from something beyond recent past.

The Re Gallery popup/satellite was a collaboration with Peter Makebish of MAKEBISH New York. I was given a tour and I got to know a great deal about some of the pieces in the show. Chris Bexar’s imaginary landscapes are photos that look like cityscapes/close-ups of hardware. Bexar uses a tilt-shift technique to make the images look like toys. A few works are assembled from squares and applied to canvas to build the complete image. I was reminded of how Warhol would print images a few times, then leave an awkward space open on his canvas. Benjamin Terry had a few constructed paintings from wood. His brand of playful objects make his work more hybrid than painting or sculpture. It was no wonder he was included in the Family Ties show at 500x, which opened the same night. I think I am still trying to wrap my head around Alika Herreshoff’s paintings plus objects. Herreshoff doesn’t take minimalism that serious and that kind of mocking disregard for tradition is something I can respect. I just don’t know if she totally pulls it off. I need to see some more of her work in person. I suspect I will come around, though.
Matthew Bourbon’s show will be up through May 10th. The pop-up space is located in Dallas, on 1505 Gano Street at Quonset Hut #3 and the show comes down April 30th.

No comments: