Friday, November 07, 2014

THE FALL SEASON IS UPON US


David Fokos, Jetty, Oak Bluffs, Massachsetts, 2001 Fuji crystal archival C-­‐print, various sizes

ModernDallas.net re-post of my article.

Finally, the art season is gearing up again. The beginning of September will have two consecutive weeks of multiple gallery openings. This first weekend will have an array of shows I am looking forward to visiting which include Cris Worley, Conduit, Galleri Urbane, Holly Johnson, R02, Photo Don't Bend Gallery aka PDBG, and William Campbell Contemporary in Fort Worth to name a few.

Normally I am not so excited to see the opening season of shows. However, this has been a particularly dry summer season for shows in Dallas, so I was hoping the new season would sweep in some fresh works. What is fresh is photography. A mini photofest emerged with PDBG showing Geof Kern photos, Cris Worley Fine Arts featuring photographer David Fokos, and Galleri Urbane showing photos by Brett Weston. Geof Kern’s photos play in the language created by the modern and contemporary artists. Weston at Galleri Urbane looks completely different from any other show I have seen there. I’m still a bit skeptical that I will enjoy the show, because so many photographers have taken the Weston style and slapped it on mass produced commercial items. David Fokos at Cris Worley, on the other hand, reminds me a little bit of Sarah Williams’ night paintings. Quiet, desolate, dark, sometimes minimal quality is very attractive. However, it does seem that Fokos’ photos are trying a little too hard to be iconic. Then again, when I visit the shows, I might completely change my viewpoint.

Another unusual show is Brooks Oliver’s two day ceramic show at R02’s Magnolia Gallery. Call me crazy, but I love it when a gallery brings in a ceramic show for a few days. I remember a great show in Philadephia I happened upon, years ago. The gallery let a potter come in and take over the place for a few days and then it was back to paintings and sculptures. Waco’s Croft Gallery did it as well.

Out of all the shows coming out this fall season, I think Claire Colette’s show in the main gallery at Conduit, and Holly Johnson Gallery’s presentation of Tommy Fitzpatrick will resonate with me the most. Colette’s simple graphite lines haunt me. I feel vulnerable, mortal just looking at examples of her work, so I have high expectations for seeing them in person. I also can’t image Fitzpatrick disappointing me. I have seen a great deal of his work, and I look forward to the further development of his ideas.

Some galleries are continuing their shows from summer. Talley Dunn Gallery is showing the collection of Sonny Burt and Bob Butler. Cohn Drennan Contemporary has a print show that works well in the new gallery space. The non-commerical space of Haggerty Art Gallery at the University of Dallas will open this Friday with an interesting pairing of Vesna Jovanovic and Jayne Lawrence, but most galleries will open on September 6th, Saturday night. Hope to see you then.

For more images ModernDallas.net

No comments: