Monday, August 04, 2014

Marriage Proposal

Over 10 years ago, I created a painting as my wedding proposal. I painted the definition of love, a quote from Nietzsche about marriage, and then I used her and my signature. I layered these on my painting and I must say, I used some colors that I might not have chosen if I had painted it today. The definition is a clear reference to Joseph Kosuth. I was using signatures at the time, but several other artists have played in this genre of conceptualism, most notably Gavin Turk. The repeat of text, "will you marry me" was influenced by a show I saw of Jean-Michel Basquiat. In a show of works on paper, he was repeating words or phrases. Sometimes he would mark them out, thus I allowed my words to overlap the other words. One the day I proposed to her, I convinced an art gallery to hang my work. Then I invited her to see a show. I remember asking her what she thought of the painting. I gave her a ring once owned by her grandmother. She said yes, but of course she did. We had already ordered her dress. Plus, she loved me and still does. We have the painting hanging in our bedroom.
 
Acrylic on canvas

(detail #1)

(detail #2)

2 comments:

bonny leibowitz said...

so great! now you have me googling Nietzsche quotes

Todd Camplin said...

Thank you, he is a really great philosopher for artists.