Monday, June 16, 2014

Mark Khaisman


Ukraine is still in the news, because of the border issues with Russia. I look to the artists for inspiration and context of a culture. Ukraine artist Mark Khaisman was educated in Russia. The ties to Russia are strong, (1654 Treaty of Pereyaslav unified these two countries and Russification also caused closer ties, however creating resentment in some), so I am sure it is not uncommon for people to seek educational opportunities in Russia. Khaisman's tape work, especially in his Goods series, is quite interesting. If an artist is going to use ordinary material then that artist must create a visually challenging image that captures your attention. Khaisman manages to skillfully use packing tape in order to create attractive images. 
From his CV information, I can tell Khaisman has moved into the international artist, rather than a regional artist. I took an art history class on transnational artists. I can see Khaisman has reached this level of artist. I look forward to following his career.

No comments: