Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Ukraine Art Scene



Maria Prymachenko (1908–1997) Ukraine folk artist

With all the news coming out of the Ukraine, I natural start thinking about what their artists are doing locally. So, I started looking at art galleries to see different artists and what the scene looks like. "TSEKH" gallery in Kiev has a few interesting artists. I particular thought Sergiy Oleksiuk was making some engaging work. Hard to tell online, but I think I would like to see the work up close. Of course, a good national gallery is important to have and theirs looks pretty standard celebration of past artists, like many western countries' national museum tend to show. Kharkov city has a Saatchi outlet, although I am unsure if this is there now or not. I read a brief article written in 2012 about saying goodby to the past, which was about a show at the The Kharkov City Art Gallery. The space is nice, I would love to show there. I can't read a word, but here is another site. I found a contemporary art space in Kiev that looks promising as well. I looked at Dnipropetrovsk and Odessa, but I could not get a clear view without actually visiting the cities. In fact, I find that true for almost every city.

No comments: