Thursday, March 20, 2014

Last Years Weather Report


Trey Egan

ModernDallas.net re-post of my article

Another year is coming to a close, so it is a good time to reflect on some events and shows this year that are worth remembering. The year started out strong at Re Gallery's exhibition of Ricardo Paniagua. This outspoken artist manages to stir a little controversy in social media while surprising others with his range of work. True he occasionally borrows ideas, but other times I see him taking a great deal of risks. I was glad to see his show at Big Medium - Canopy during the Austin Studio Tour weekends. It was the first time I really had a chance to see a variety of his hard edge paintings and sculptures in one place.

This was a great year for painting. Trey Egan at Cris Worley Fine Art was one of the best solo shows. For me, his work slowly grows on you. The more I looked at the marks, the more pattern and movement I was able to discover. I soon got in tune with his rhythm of painting and I look forward to seeing a new batch soon.

My former professor, Vincent Falsetta, has made significant development in his paintings, and this year I must have seen three shows with his work adding to the dialogue of works in abstraction. Angela Kallus’ caked on paintings in the last show I saw at Marty Walkers was another beginning of the year show stopper. Kallus’ pastry style roses in paint on board is not something I would normally care about, but Kallus makes them so desirable.

Liliana Bloch started her own gallery this year inside the Public Trust space. Her aesthetics don’t always match my own, but she always curates thoughtfully. And I find myself second guessing my assumptions about what Bloch chooses to show. But if you ask me which was the most soulful, minimally beautiful, and mesmerizing, I would have to say Linnea Glatt’s show at Barry Whistler. A pure joy to see. Books, threads, white, shred, Glatt had all the quiet elements that made for a truly memorable show and a memorable ART year for Dallas!

ModernDallas.net for more images

No comments: