Friday, December 27, 2013

Email Art Scams

Well a few attempts at emailing me and scamming me out of art. (Here is a great blog to cross reference your own emails for scams). Here is my emails correspondence:

Greetings! My name is Steve Pettus from Las Vegas. I would like to purchase the piece (title in subject field above) as a surprise to my wife on our anniversary. If you would like to know, I actually observed my wife viewing your website on my laptop and i guess she likes your work. You are really doing a great job - what inspires you? Kindly confirm the availability for immediate sales.

Regards, Steve.

******* second email *********

Greetings! I was ask to contact your gallery by Todd Camplin as regarding the sales of this artwork "Text Box 2013 paint on aluminum 30 x 30 x 30 ", I must tell you I am very much interested in the immediate purchase of the piece to surprise my wife. If you'd like to know, I'm relocating to the Philippines soon and our anniversary is fast approaching. So I'm trying to gather some good stuff to make this event a surprise one. I am buying yours as part of gifts to her (quickly before someone else grabs it). Kindly email me the asking price asap.

As regarding shipping, you don't have to worry about that in order not to leave any clue to my wife for the surprise. as soon as you receive and cash the check, my shipping agent (who is also moving my personal effect) will contact you to arrange pick-up.

I would have handled this much differently but, at the moment, am on training voyage (on the North Atlantic Ocean) to Russia with new hires who are fresh from graduate school. I would have come to purchase the piece myself but won't be back for another couple of weeks.

Regards, Steve.

PS: In the meantime, kindly forward your full name (you want the check payable to) cell phone no. and contact address (preferably for fedEx not P.O box) where a check can be mailed to, so I can get the check prepared and have it mailed out to you asap.

****** at this point I turned him down *********** His email stvpettus01@gmail.com

A Sarah Blair also contacted me, but my gallery has my back, so Blair never really followed through.
But it is clear she was out to scam me out of art. Her email blair.simpson20@gmail.com

3 comments:

Brad Ford Smith said...

Thanks for posting about this art scam. Most of these are pretty clear due to the bad writing, but this one was very creative. I would have been pulled into it. Thank god for obscurity.

ari said...

i got the same scam from Sarah Blair and i just got another one from Adam Johnson

here's the text of the email
Hi,

My name is Adam, I found your Work of arts to be appealing. I am very impressed with it and would be interested in purchasing it .

Could you please send your website to me and let me know your available pieces,a price list and payment options . I'm an art lover/collector and I'm collecting for my personal collections.****.I want any art work at the range of $400 to $500.
Regards.

Notice that i have a shipper already and my method of payment is Check.
Adam

ari said...

i got the same scam from Sarah Blair and i just got another one from Adam Johnson

here's the text of the email
Hi,

My name is Adam, I found your Work of arts to be appealing. I am very impressed with it and would be interested in purchasing it .

Could you please send your website to me and let me know your available pieces,a price list and payment options . I'm an art lover/collector and I'm collecting for my personal collections.****.I want any art work at the range of $400 to $500.
Regards.

Notice that i have a shipper already and my method of payment is Check.
Adam