Wednesday, June 05, 2013

LINEAR LANGUAGE at Mary Tomas Studio Gallery


John Borys - Behind The Veil 72 x 65 in

ModernDallas.net repost where I wrote ...

Dragon Street has such a diverse group of galleries that even the ones I don’t frequent have a few surprises of their own. For a variety of reasons, I usually miss Mary Tomas Studio Gallery when I visit galleries, but I am glad I didn’t skip this month, because the show “Linear Language,” was worth seeing. Three out of the six artists showing impressed me with their dynamic works, so I had to write about the show.

I was stopped in my tracks by the John Borys paintings I saw from the window. Those wide lines of color flowed over cloudy white background and compelled me to insist the doors be open for closer inspection. Lucky, I was let in to see several more works by Borys. I enjoy how his lines are concealed and revealed through his use of composition and painting style. Rectangles split the organic lines into individual colorful shapes. Other times Borys paints over the curving lines, while allowing the image to bleed through the white paint. The paintings in this show seem like a mix of planning and improvisation. John Borys and I showed together during the last East Austin Studio Tour, but that was a different body of work. You might say he was more like Brice Marden, but when I showed with him I would say his work looked more extremely improvised with less direct comparison to any other artist I could think of right now.

From a curator standpoint, the pairing of Borys paintings with Morton Rachofsky sculptures couldn’t have been a better match. Rachofsky’s colorful cube blocks of geometric objects made Borys’ work more colorful and Rachofsky’s sculptures more commanding. Rachofsky’s objects captivated me and made me linger. These were simple objects made complex with zigzag patterns worming up the structures. The pyramid made you constantly address its presence. I guess the eye candy colors attracted me like a bee to a flower and I got no negative charge from the sculpture. Dallas’ MADI Museum has a piece by Rachofsky in their permanent collection of course.

Blair Vaughn-Gruler paintings were very loose with reference to hard drawn geometry, but she paints these objects in a kind of state of decay or softening. Her backgrounds are like primordial ooze giving nutrient to her organic/geometric shapes. Vaughn-Gruler, like Borys tends to let lines fade into the background, only her approach is more subtle and gradual. Her pallet is muted where the paint takes on some characteristics of a drawing. The blurred out areas feel like smug marks and the lines of the objects are crude like a sketch.

“Linear Language,” also had 3 other artists; Aubree Dale who is planning for a MFA soon, Sandra Lara who is showing some expressionist paintings and their host Mary Tom├ís. Don’t skip out on Mary Tomas Studio Gallery this month. These six artists will be showing until March 25th.

ModernDallas.net for more images.

No comments: