Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lauren Henkin

From my blog (The Art Reviewer) June 13, 2010

I hate Lauren Henkin's website loading time, I didn't think I would ever see the work (although I understand it was for the higher quality images). Henkin is pretty accomplished as a photographer, with a book coming out; it is likely irrelevant what I think about the work but here are my thoughts. 'Still Standing, Still Standing,' series first struck me as just a familiar meditation on a tree in the field. But as I continued to view these works I quickly understood the insistent title of the works reiterates the idea of standing despite a past trauma. Each 15 images drives this point home at 15 different angles. By only changing the angle of the subject of the tree, the photos not only show a mediation, but also project a engaging narrative. I think this series must be seen together in order to get the full impact of metaphoric transfer. 'Remnants' is like stumbling on a picnic 30 years later. I feel a sense of lost and sadness in this series and much like the 'Still Standing, Still Standing' series, each image takes an angle for the scene like a crime being solved. I was a little worried when I first looked at Lauren's page that the work would be just straight photography, but the work goes way beyond the old trope of what is pretty. Hernkin's work peels back the surface and gets the viewer to look closer for meaning and narrative. Image for the "Remnants' series.

Comments
Caio Fernandes - June 15, 2010 8:50 AM i didn't resist when i saw on my dashboard a post starting with "I HATE " . this is unusual on the polite and polished world of blogs . but this is a very well balanced text . very good review .

Art Reviewer - June 21, 2010 7:51 AM I just need faster internet.

No comments: