Saturday, June 09, 2012

Janda 'Japanda' Farley


From my blog (The Art Reviewer) June 3, 2010

Janda 'Japanda' Farley is working in the very popular punk-goth-anime-comic book romantic style that I have seen countless students make in their first years of college. You can also find this style on deviantART web page and countless other concept art pages on the Internet. I don't see a consistent voice/style of Japanda's paintings and drawings emerging for this body of work. There are an over abundance of young artists working in this style and genre. It is important to distinguish oneself from the crowd of wannabees. There are a few galleries in my area that specialize in this work and I like some of the artists working in this style, but what sticks out for me is how incredible different their voices are to most any other artists. I think Japanda is finding a more consistent voice through photography. The staged photographs seems to be tackling issues and ideas that keep all the punk attitude without the style drowning the content. If Japanda could merge the sensibility of the photography into the paintings and drawings, I think a consistent voice could emerge.

4 comments:

Cosmo - June 5, 2010 5:17 PM "Style drowning the content." That's going into my lexicon, and it'll be put to frequent use.

Art Reviewer - June 5, 2010 6:06 PM I release my lingo freely upon the world, thank you.

Japanda87 - June 15, 2010 12:11 AM I'm more than willing to accept your point of view- not everyone likes the same thing- but there are a few things that I would like more of an elaboration on- like what "style drowning the content" means... Are you saying that all art has to tell a story and be serious?
What is so sensible about the photography as opposed to my painted work?
Thank you. :)

Art Reviewer - June 17, 2010 6:48 AM What I mean by ‘style drowning out content’ in this context is that your work relays on a style that 90% of high school students are using without innovating. The work looks like fan art. How can I take your work serious or see it as fun without your style being more developed from other concept artists out there. I think the work is skillfully made, just I feel you need to push yourself into making your style be your own voice. I dismiss the work because of the style is derivative and therefore the content is lost to me. Now if the style was more uniquely your voice, the content (fun or serious) would shine through. Your photographs are fun and they seem to be more your voice in the images rather than being copies of other artists. They feel more honestly you and that is what I enjoy about them. Keep making paintings and drawings and I am sure your voice will come out. These things take time.

No comments: