Sunday, June 17, 2012

Ella Morton


From my blog (The Art Reviewer) June 11, 2010

Ella Morton has a nice collection of natural pictures above and below the water. I like the 'lighting painting' series, I know all my photography friends will say, over done and over rated technique, but like a moth to the flame I kepted on look at them. I am sure the nature pictures took a long time and a lot of effort to make. Technically they are good work. I am not sure what the work says and that might be my failing, because I am looking for something more than what is captured right there in front of me. The exposure of moving lights impress me, because of the stage element with the mysterious narrative. However, the underwater images have a much better composition than any of the moving light images. Mostly because there is a more off centering composition taking place that cuts down on the implied symmetry. Although the lights caught my attention, I started to slowly dislike the symmetrical nature of some of the images. Slowly, I became more attracted to the sea pictures, because the images are more abstract in composition. I'm waffling, but first impressions often take time.

No comments: