Friday, June 22, 2012

Christina Massey


From my blog (The Art Reviewer) June 18, 2010

Images of a meat market were the first thoughts that sprang in my head when viewing the fiber artist Christina Massey. Thankfully the title of the show 'Meat Market' meet my expectations. These works are amazingly raw and in your face. I find the crafting of the work very attractive because the art has a beautiful, repulsive, and natural theme. I like this piece because it helps us re-experience objects like hanging meat and re-frames the object into a made art piece. By remaking hanging meat, we start to think about our relationship with meat without feeling the artists is swaying our opinion. On the blog there are some weaved pieces that I think are a little weak, because the material is being used in very expected way in contrast to all those unexpected ways Massey uses in her other work. Dead Painting is much more innovative and interesting because the work engages painting and sculpture in between space. I have always liked Eva Hesse's work because of her way of reinventing sculpture. Massey is continuing in this tradition of innovation of material and giving the viewer have mixed feelings of attraction or repulsion about the objects.

Comment

KAMHauck - August 15, 2010 3:11 PM striking. I agree with your comment that "Dead Painting" (from her blog) is very innovative, and I was also captivated by "Bits and Pieces 3" as well.

No comments: