Thursday, May 17, 2012

Kyle Young


Dialogue-- Red & Orange - 2012 acrylic on panels 40” x 121 1/4”

A repost from my ModernHouston.net art review in March 2012.

Art Palace is pretty much the most fearless gallery in Houston. I sometime scratch my head at shows and wonder what the hell I am seeing in front of me. I keep going back for more, because Art Palace always challenges me to stretch my aesthetic muscles. Their current showing of Kyle Young may seem like a safe minimalist bet, but his years breaking from art production makes him risky to show for many galleries.

Kyle Young’s return to the studio makes every artist that has to make a living and has to slow or stop their production of art feel extremely hopeful. For many coming right out of grad school, the harsh reality of little change for a living wage hits most artists hard. I have known artists that take as many adjunct jobs as possible to keep their heads above water. When I ask how their art is going, they respond, “when do I have time to work?” Other very talented artists jump into the art moving industry. This is a very time consuming adventure, because generally these are small operations and to run a business is nearly all consuming. Making art is always in the back of every serious artists mind, no matter the distraction. The drive, the passion can never be fully extinguished and Kyle Young proves the rule that when artistic expression screams at you to create; you must answer the call at some point.

Kyle Young’s mono prints are cut and collaged together to make minimal broken geometric shapes. His colors are rich and clean. I am reminded of the paintings by Cecil Touchon. The shapes are broken in similar fashion in some of the works. Young, however, is focused on the pure geometry where Touchon is using text as a source of his collages. I think Young’s collage helps to give the simple shapes a little more interesting element. Minimalism is a well traveled road for many artists since the fifties, so when Young breaks the shapes into small rectangles and reshuffles them, I feel he is taking a somewhat fresh approach to this style of art.

Of course, not all the work comes in easy packages of rectangles. “I Came with No Opinions” looks more like the shaped canvas paintings of Frank Stella, but Young is unrestricted by the canvas. His collage can float away from a full structure. This engaging collage is unrestrained by the rectangle format. Kyle Young’s show titled “Push Play,” runs through April 7th.

For more pictures of the show visit ModernHouston.net.

No comments: