Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lauren Rogers Museum of Art


Right after I graduated from my undergraduate degree, I spent a little time with my brother down in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. He was getting a MA in creative writing and I wanted to visit the area to explore art exhibition opportunities and to see the art museums. Not far north of Hattiesburg is Lauren Rogers Museum of Art. The museum is in this old brick building that is extremely well cared for, surrounded by the historic district of the town of Lauren. The collection was nicely displayed and I really enjoyed my visit. No one piece of art work stood out and the spaces was a little small. This is not to say that I didn't enjoy myself. The art and artifact their were nice. I think anyone visiting will get something positive from the trip. But, I really think something exciting is just over the horizon for the LRMA. They are embarking on a building project to expand the museum. I hope the project expansion also considers the current building and the addition complements the past structure.

No comments: