Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Barnes Foundation


Back in 2000, I had the extreme pleasure to see the The Barnes Foundation in its original house setting. I know a lot of controversy surrounds the move of the collection to downtown Philadelphia. I watched the documentary titled "The Art of the Steal" and I see that perspective as valid, but at the same time I am excited to see the new space opening up this May 19th. I am hopeful the space will make an attempt to keep some of Mr. Barnes vision of exhibiting his art. The collection is quite possible the best American collection of art. Mr. Barnes collected some of the best works from late 19th century and early 20th century art. I know the show traveled around the world for a while, but Barnes thoughts on exhibiting the work also ads the quality of the art he collected. You fell you could live with the art and the works talk to each other through his use of the salon style exhibition, rather than a white cube style of a museum. Visit the Barns Foundation website and see what is new about the collection.

The image is from Whyy PBS website. This article explains some of Mr. Barnes' exhibition decisions.

No comments: