Saturday, November 05, 2011

Kate Rivers

What other animal is known for creating collages? A bird, of course. Kate Rivers knows this and reflects this in her work. These nest works caught me off guard, because I didn't even think about this fact about birds collaging until I saw her work. But enough about birds. Kate Rivers work is attractive as a collage, because she is taking a fresh approach to an art form. I mean, typically if you have seen one collage you seen them all, but Rivers really shakes it up with a more representational approach, rather than something purely abstract or something that uses to much of the recognizable part of the images in the collage. Not Rivers, she plays with these cutouts and creates an amazing composition of strips of paper.

2 comments:

Color Cat Studios said...

Love, LOVE this nest! What a unique way to do a collage! Some serious thinking went into this piece.

Todd Camplin said...

I know, I can hardly count all the layers of meaning in the work. But when you see it, you think, of course you would collage like this. I just love the work too. Thanks for dropping by.