Monday, November 21, 2011

Dallas on Monday

Every time I visit Dallas for meetings on Monday, I find myself limited to my art consumption options. So, North Park Mall with the Naspher Collection on display is always nice to visit. Not a lot of rotation of work, but something to behold if you like shopping and experiencing art in the same place. I generally see malls as just museums anyways, because I can never afford anything, but I love looking at the fashions and displays. I also made my pilgrimage to large Half-Price Bookstore and their huge collection of art books. I nearly bought a few catalogs of artist's work, but I ended up buying the art essays of Apollinaire, which is a true treasure already. I finally went to the Barns and Nobel, across from the North Park Mall. I went upstairs and I has horrified that the art section had been moved downstairs and left as a shell of its former glory. This B&N had been a haven for top of the line new art books on multiple shelves and now the space for art is like any other B&N, crap little. I was so disappointed I walked over to the magazine rack to find that it to had taken an extreme cut back as well. I couldn't even buy an ArtNews or Art America. I don't know the reason for the change, but that is the last time I go out of that particular store. I guess I will have to visit the DMA museum store or save up my money for the CAA convention to get any good new art books.

1 comment:

Havetoloveart said...

Hi,
maybe this site is interesting for your blog? www.artapa.com

Artapa is a free online art price database that anyone can contribute to. Their goal is to create one easy space online where art lovers and galleries can keep track of artworks, artists and prices. A sort "little black book", that isn't black or a book. Or little, to think of it. They are now several months online, and they're growing all the time.