Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Patrick Dougherty


Patrick Dougherty made this wonderful piece in Waco , TX. On a good day, you can walk inside and see this nest structure up close. On bad days, volunteers placing a gate around the work to rebuild parts that have been altered by the visitors. With this constant destruction by the visitors and creation by the volunteers of Waco, Dougherty's work has really taken on a life of its own. I know Dougherty intended the work to fall apart over the course of maybe five years, but with the constant re-nesting of the volunteers, it is hard to say when the piece might disappear. I think the battle is really fun to see play out and I love how passionate the volunteers defend this wonderful structure. This is a must see piece when visiting Waco. (pic from)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am definitely happy to find this. cool job!

Evee said...

this is amazing! there's a similar piece outside the Nasher Museum of Art in NC, I think it might have been done by the same artist. great photo!
---
http://a-rough-sketch.blogspot.com/

sister K. said...

you need to take me to see this next time i visit!!!

Painting Workshop said...

These look amazing! Are those huts? Great job!...Daniel

Todd Camplin said...

I know, they are great to explore and walk around. Even my dad, that doesn't care for contemporary art, said that Dougherty was a real artist. I think the work really gets people on a base level.