Sunday, December 05, 2010

Re-Frame the Couch

It is time to re-frame the couch. A few months ago, I hang a large diptych of my drawing above a collector’s couch. My work did not match the couch, but she had to hang it somewhere in the house that had room enough for a 76 inch wide and 50 inch tall drawing. The couch is tan, the drawing is blue and green, but the frame was tan, so I guess that work out. I don’t like a lot of art out there and Dallas does have a lot of bad art (like every other town), but I am thankful people are buying art from living artists. This is a good habit people are getting into and if their first few purchases are not as informed as they need to be, they are collecting and as one collects art, one cannot help but start to be educated about art and the processes. Dallas locals are really just beginning to be educated on art and the best artists in town. I think more art the collectors get exposed to the better choices they will make. Then again, this is optimistic of me, but I only hope the collectors see the light over time. Then again, selling to collectors is just one small aspect of getting your art out there for consumption. Non-profits installations, grants, guerrilla shows, and other ways around the market that are ways to have people see your vision. None the less, the couch is here to say and thank goodness for those that want to place something above it that was made by a person and not a cheap poster from Hobby Lobby.

6 comments:

Troy Camplin said...

Title of your next show: "Over the Couch"

Todd Camplin said...

David Reed already did a show of his work over couches.

Todd Camplin said...

Yes and I need to create a giant refrigerator and large magnets to hang my drawings.

Troy Camplin said...

I like that idea best! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi :)

Anonymous said...

safe couch art