Saturday, October 23, 2010

Silver Maple Gallery

Friday, I visited an opening of a gallery that has been in business for over 7 years. With a name like Silver Maple Gallery, (located in Waco, TX) you would expect to see very traditional work and you would be right. Cowboys, cats, and flowers with a splash of abstract art. Richard Skurla had some work their that reminded me a little of Cy Twombly without the Cy Twombly confidence. I talked to Mr Skurla and he seemed to feel that the art establishment was to harsh and judgemental. This also seemed to apply to his current grad school experience. One of the artists declared the work part of the Illustrationist movement. That is a new one on me. And yes, the work did seem to employ illustration methods, but since the work was landscapes, I am not sure it was really illustrating anything clearly. So, I am wondering if this is a just a style reference?
Although, the work really wasn't particularly strong, I appreciate the effort the artists were making with a gallery in a small town. The gallery also has a painting school component.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the main page. Do you think it will always be this way?