Sunday, August 29, 2010

Josef Albers

Josef Albers painting Fugue around 1925

Josef Albert is one of those color field artists that I had not fully explored his catalog of work. Mostly, because the few work I did see of Albert were lacking much character. I however was missing one key element about Albert and that is the date he was making this work. I was amazed at this work that predated computers, predated minimalist, and predated abstract expressionist. I also thought of John Pomara's work in seeing this particular piece. Although the square in a square work still does not move me like this one above, I can at least appreciate the works because of there pure innovation. Personally, I don't know why, but I find myself moving closer and closer to loving minimalist art.

2 comments:

Troy Camplin said...

Clearly playing with optical illusion. The bars appear to bend because of their orientation to each other.

Todd Camplin said...

Good point, predates Op art too.