Thursday, July 29, 2010

Troy Camplin

My brother Dr. Troy Camplin (on the left) writes poetry, short stories, novel manuscript, philosophy, essays, and political critiques. Although I don't agree with his politics that much, (often times it has more to do with the combative tone of the piece is written in), but his other writings are quite interesting and full of great ideas. Dr. Camplin's poetry is formalist, so his work investigates rhyme and meter. This kind of poetry has been slowly coming back into fashion and I only feature this kind of poetry in my own work, because the words help add to the rhythm of the drawing. Dr. Camplin, along with a professor at the University of Texas at Dallas, introduced me to the new formalist poets. Ever since then I have been reading their work. I find the new formalist more enjoyable to read, because the rich content connects in to the subject in form and style. The rhythm and rhyme tie the content into something beautiful and skillfully crafted. Free verse is good unless it degrades to prose with line breaks and then the sense of craft is lost.

6 comments:

Caio Fernandes said...

It seens you both have a strong conextion with writen words.
There are more writers on your family ?
Nico to know about Troy.
Thanks.

Todd Camplin said...

We come from working class folks, so we were the first generation that was able to spend the time to make art. We have some artistic roots on both sides of our family. He has focused on writing and I have focus on the visual. I can't think of anyone in our family that writes philosophy while being able to write creative work as well. Best I can do is this little blog.

Troy Camplin said...

Strong tensions lie in every line
Of scholarship or poetry
Or nothing happens -- life won't shine
In feebleness or coquetry.

Todd Camplin said...

Nicely said Troy. I guess a good old Patrick Henry speech is sometimes in order.

TonyN said...

Just in case someone is confused, Troy is actually the one on the left…

Todd Camplin said...

Fixed it