Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Signature Campiness

Sometimes a campy, laughable expression can get to the heart of a serious conversation. Comedians do this all the time with hot button issues like war, race, gender, etc. Many comedians take an irreverent approach to these topics to disarm or dismiss the weight of the issue. Many visual artists do the same with these topical issues, but other artists take on philosophical discussions with the same irreverent approach. In 2003-04, I tackled the idea of identity and the signature. I was reading Derrida at the time, but I was also trying to take the issue of the logos with a bit of humor. This piece above is my signature layered in yellow, green, and blue. Later I ran across this artist Mel Bochner, which I will talk about in the next post.

No comments: