Saturday, June 13, 2009

What the Bleep

The movie has been out for a long time, but I just got around to watching, 'What the Bleep do we Know." I like the ideas in the movie, but the presentation made it nearly unwatchable. It was like as if MTV and any local news channel created a package and call it a movie. It was sound bite after sound bite, with this random animation all through the movie, and plus, the movie tried to jam this lame narrative down the viewers throat. I would have rather watched a string of interviews to get a better picture of the ideas being purposed. The ideas really were about having beautiful lives through self determination.
This was an artlessly produced film because the imagery and story line were just noise clumsily trying to illustrate the points of the interviews, but the editing of the interviews (although in sound bite form) was artful, because the truth of the ideas could be striped away easily. A better film or art piece, one does not have to do the work to strip out all the noise. The elegant forum is apparent with the meaningful content.

1 comment:

Troy Camplin said...

I liked the idea of it, the combination of fiction and documentary. But I did find the use of a deaf woman to be pretty much arbitrary, and distracting. Along those lines, I found "I "heart" Huckabee" to be a more integrated work, though obviously focused more on the fictional part. I also watched it right after What the Bleep, which made for an interesting contrast.