Thursday, June 11, 2009

Erik Friedman

I ran across artist Erik Friedman on Myspace. This work is ink on paper and guasch paint. I love the detail of ink work on this image. Some of the images look to be based on computer manipulation and others are creative use of photographs. The carnival theme Friedman uses is something of a smashed up world of playfulness and dread. Much like every carnival I have been to. The carnival is fun, but the people running it have to eek out a living. Friedman's images reflect the engineering marvel of the carnival matched with the mystic and the danger of one of those traveling shows. I have often thought twice before riding these rides. Friedman drawings makes me fell the beauty of that risk. Friedman was exhibited in August 10-26, 2007 at the Swarm Gallery in Oakland, California with artist Ema Harris-Sintamarian.


No comments: