Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Collage Art Association, LA

Just got back from the CAA in LA. I got to see a nice amount of art there, but I can see that Dallas art is comparable to the art in LA. There were a few more galleries that are willing to take risks, but that seem to match the population size, rather than something inherent to LA. Of course, I only saw a percentage of the contemporary art galleries in LA of a period less than a week, so I can't be completely objective on my judgement. However, I would still love to be a small fish in that big pond. I should have known that LA was a driving town, I was struck by the lack of public transportation and the unwillingness to educate thrifty tourists on how to use the public transportation. The front desk of my hotel seem to be shocked that I didn't want to take a cab or rent a car. CAA was great for me, because I was not looking for a job. But other people were really complaining about the job market, of course, that was not completely CAA fault. However, I did thing the panel discussions were more interesting in the Dallas meeting last year. I really felt alone and isolated at times while I was there, luckily the townees were really friendly and many of the CAA goers were willing to interact. All and all, a good trip.

2 comments:

gurdonark said...

I moved to Los Angeles from Mesquite during the time period 1991-2000, moving back to Allen in 2000. I love that Los Angeles has lots of cultural events. Yet much of what I learned is how much I admired our local home-grown Dallas scenes. The LA music phenomenon of bands being at the mercy of venue, having to pay to play, was disheartening, as well as the homogenization of so much music in LA, as a result, I theorize of the quest to be "discovered". Similarly, while some acquintances had a vibrant local theater movement, I'll never forget all the bright people in my apartment building who seemed trapped writing sitcoms they did not like. There's nothing wrong with sitcoms, in my view, but why write them if they're not what you want to do?

Here in Dallas you can invent your own mode. You can exhibit in homes, as in the Stuckist manifesto. You can invent yourself.
The pond here is not small--millions of people in our metro area. It's imagination that's the key.

Todd Camplin said...

Sounds like a great time. A week is just to short a time to get into the mix of things. Dallas music scene has come, gone, and come again. I hope it on the upswing again. When my kid gets old enough, I will re-engage myself into the music scene. I know the art galleries are on the rise, althought it is still tough times out there; economicly speaking.