Saturday, November 01, 2008

Art and Politics: McKinney

Cynthia McKinney is running for the Green Party. The button uses a very conservative design, in that it uses an image of the person running. You often see this same design on a country music album. The leaf icon, in relationship to the image and text seems odd, but the leaf does mirror the shape of the side of the button. I am not sure how I feel about her expression either. I don't know what she is thinking or doing. The words uses caps and lower case; at the same time the text is rounded. There is a reason why the other parties use all upper case, because it show a sense of authority and importance. I think the rounded text is a weak uses of design for trying to promote someone for president, because rounded implies informal. If the colors in the name McKinney, did not clash with the green background, then there might be somethings to rework the design.



I know Green can create a good design, just look at this post that was produced by the Greens. It is something that would come off of a Rage Against the Machine album. It uses hip design that is focus to the youth. The youth don't vote, but they love to protest. (I know I sound like an old man there). So, this poster calls to action the youth to protest against the Democratic Party Convention.

2 comments:

Troy Camplin said...

It's a call to protest at the Democratic Convention, since it says at the bottom "Denver."

I agree that the McKinney pin is odd at best. It's an awful picture of her. Nobody would vote for the person in that picture.

Todd Camplin said...

I fixed it, thanks.