Friday, October 17, 2008

History


My Path to Abstraction
This work is titled '1973' oil on canvas, made in 2003. On my web page I have a history page that features my life in site-bites. At Western Kentucky University as an undergraduate, I was already creating abstract paintings of faces and figures, however, much of the quality was lacking and I think I know why. The few pieces that I put a lot of thought into tended to be more successful. Often, I had a real problem with craftsmanship and many times I didn't fully think out what my goals were when creating the art series. I really was finding my way and at the same time I was trying to reject my training as a graphic designer. In 2002, I found myself in New York City at the Armoury Show. I was already looking at grad-schools, but after going to that show, I felt in my gut that my work would not be good enough to get into a program. My brother was seeking his PhD at the University of Texas at Dallas, so before I went to New York, I look up the artists teaching at UTD. The artist/professor John Pomara looked like he was doing something very interesting. And, while I was at the Armoury Show, I saw a gallery that was representing his work and I was hooked. I said to myself, I have to study under this artist. So, after a meeting with poet/professor Fred Turner, who help me get into the program at UTD as an Master of Arts student; I started focusing on some new art. Back in 2001, I started on two different series. One was painting series was cartoon rendered stories of my life and the other series was based on the hand written signature. In my first class with Pomara, he asked me why I has rejecting my graphic design training? Well, it was a light bulb that appeared over my head. I started making digital paintings out of abstracting text. Soon, I started to digitally abstract peoples signatures to create new way of imaging a portrait. Once I built up my portfolio, I applied to the University of North Texas where I am currently getting my Master of Fine Arts. My new work returns to abstracting text, but in a new way that my first attempt in my MA.

2 comments:

TonyN said...

"Site-bites, huh?" That's a new one on me. I like it! Consider yourself ripped-off…

Todd Camplin said...

Great, I release the word to the English language vonacular.