Monday, September 22, 2008

Andy Warhol



Twice, I have seen a good show of Warhol's work. Once at the Knoxville Museum of Art in Tennessee in 2001 and Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philly in 2000, plus I have seen several works in permanent collections of museums. I drove by the Warhol museum in Pittsburgh several times, but I never go to drop by. I have flipped through some; what I am sure was fakes at a gallery in Philly. And I even got to move a framed portrait of a Warhol from a back room of an art gallery to the office of the gallery. If I could, I would love to see more of his work - other than in a book. Needless to say, I have gone out of my way to see his work and I really think his work is very important to future artists. Really, Warhol and others help open the door to end Modernism. The Pop artists made it OK to paint real objects. Warhol helped influence a huge host of artists and also he was part of a printmaking revolution. I assume I am not saying anything new here, but I just wanted to talk about Andy a bit because I like his work.

No comments: